6th Annual 5K Run/Walk Benefiting the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund
We are pleased to announce our 2016 beneficiaries for the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund.
This year’s 5K proceeds will continue to support two Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships, research for early detection of gastrointestinal cancer at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and patient/family care at Hackensack Memorial University Medical Center.
Our local beneficiary is 13-year old Jake Rudd as he continues his treatment for Ewing’s Sarcoma. #ruddmanstrong
Please join us for the 7th Annual Born to Run 5K on 9/11/16! Register, donate, and sponsor at http://www.borntorun5k.com.
Please check out our Facebook page for 2015 photos — comment and tag away! Big thanks to Brian Hester and Richard Frant for their great photos once again this year!
2015 BORN TO RUN 5k Results:
525 participants crossed the finish line! Our largest event to date. Thank you all for your tremendous support and participating this year. We’ll be posting pictures on our Facebook page soon, so keep an eye out. We look forward to seeing you next year!
- Directions: Check-in and start/stop takes place in back of Packanack Elementary School – 190 Oakwood Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Click here for Google Map.
- Parking: There is limited parking available at the school; enter lot through Ratzer Road. Overflow parking is available on the side streets — use caution if crossing roads. We’re expecting a large turnout this year so please allow ample time for parking and carpool if possible. ***Please do not park on Lake Drive East or Lake Drive West as this will interfere with the race course.***
BEFORE THE 5K:
- Check-in starts @ 7:30am: There will be a pre-registration table for you to check-in and pick up your race bag, including bibs. There will be a separate table for day-of registrations. (Note: race bags, including shirts, will not be saved for participants that do not attend.)
- Bib Timing: Your bib contains a chip that will time you. Simply wear your bibs (attach to shirt with safety pins provided) and you’re all set. You can keep or dispose of the bib after race, no need to return.
- Pre-Race: Visit the refreshment tent for fruit, bagels, and water. Professionals from Performance Physical Therapy and Sportscare Institute will be on site to stretch out participants. And check out the pink firetruck from Guardians of the Ribbon, raising awareness for breast cancer… and even sign it!
- Medical Staff: There will be an EMT present throughout the event– please let a volunteer know if you need assistance.
- Toilets: There will be 3 port-o-potties available. If nature calls, please allow plenty of time prior to the race so you’re not waiting on line when the event starts.
DURING THE 5K:
- Start of 5K: Run/walk lining up at the start line will begin at 8:40am, followed by announcements and National Anthem, and the race starts promptly at 9:00am. There will be announcements and volunteers guiding participants to the start line (behind pink firetruck). Runners should go towards the front of the start line, and walkers should stay in the back.
- Course: The start is on Lake Drive West by the school, and ending is on the pavement of the school. We’ll be running/walking counter-clockwise around Packanack Lake, with a slight detour at the end through a neighborhood. Click here for map of the course. There will be bright orange arrows and volunteers guiding you throughout the course. There will also be Wayne Police assisting with traffic and safety around the course. Please stay to the inner side of the road and remember that we’ll be sharing the road with vehicles– please run/walk against traffic. Please be respectful of any drivers.
- Water Stations: There are two water stations on the course, at 1.3 and 2.1 miles. Please dispose of the cups in the garbage bags!
- Awards: There will be cash prizes for overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (male and female), and medals for top 3 winners in each age category (male and female — 14 & Under, 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+); winners announced immediately following conclusion of race.
- Results & Photos: Check back on our website and Facebook page for the results and hundreds of photos after the event.
ABOUT THE EVENT & BRUCE:
2015 marks the sixth year for the Born to Run 5K commemorating the life and ongoing legacy of Bruce Eckrote. Sunday’s race echoes the course around the lake that Bruce, a Wayne resident, ran several times a week, even up until the end.
Although the loss of Bruce in 2009 has left a huge void in the lives of his family and friends, his legacy will live on forever in the lives of those he influenced. Bruce was a practical man and known for his generosity and kind-hearted nature. Bruce’s devotion to giving back to his community as well as his dedication to running will be captured in this great event.
In the first five years we have raised over $65,000 with 100% of proceeds going towards community causes, scholarship, and medical support, and we’re excited for another successful year. We know Bruce would be proud of his ongoing effect on this world. And his family and friends can’t thank you enough for your support this year — now let’s rock and run/walk on!!!
100% OF 2015 PROCEEDS WILL SUPPORT THE BELOW BENEFICIARIES:
- Proceeds will benefit the ongoing treatment of Wayne resident Henry Jack Catalano, age 4, recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. #henryshalos
- Proceeds will support medical expenses for Wayne resident Gary Ragusa, who was diagnosed with ALS. #teamgoose
- Two Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships given to graduating seniors at Wayne Valley High School and Wayne Hills High School
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center to support research tied to the early detection of gastrointestinal cancers (this is where Bruce was treated)
- John Thereur Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center to support cancer patients currently undergoing treatment
- GenPro, Inc., East Rutherford, NJ
- Mindshare, New York, NY
- Challenger Properties, LLC., Wayne, NJ
- Performance Physical Therapy, Wayne, NJ
- Sunny Days Embroidery, St. Augustine, FL/Nationwide
- Sportscare Physical Therapy, throughout NJ/NY
- Gensinger Volkswagen, Clifton, NJ
- Bosland’s Flower Shop, Positano Restaurant, Stonehill Estates Kennel, Gary’s Wine & Marketplace, The Kailo, Beckwith, DeDomenico & Messman Families
- In Partnership with the Wayne Police Athletic League, Wayne, NJ
THANKS AGAIN AND WE’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT EVENT ON SUNDAY!!!
Please note that this year’s course is REVERSED. Same streets, but it will now be run counter-clockwise around the lake.
Here is a map of the updated course: https://goo.gl/maps/uoNvt
There will be two water stations at approximately the 1 and 2 mile markers. Police and volunteers will continue to be stationed around the course.
We are honored and privileged to be supporting two deserving Wayne families this year — the Ragusa and Catalano families.
Additionally, we will continue to support scholarships at Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills high Schools, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and Hackensack University Medical Center.
Thank you for your continued support of this event and it’s causes as we continue to keep Bruce’s legacy alive!
Hundreds of pictures are now posted on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/borntorun5k
Please enjoy and feel free to tag & share!
Thanks to our great race-day photographers: Brian Hester, Jim Koper, and Katerina Gkionis (KG Photography)
2014 5K results: http://www.tristatetiming.com/2014-born-to-run-5k/
Thank you so much for everyone’s support of the 5th annual Born to Run 5K! This was a very successful event and we appreciate your participation. Stay tuned for pictures and a wrap-up…