6th Annual 5K Run/Walk Benefiting the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund
2 weeks until the 5K — register now!
We are pleased to announce that the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund will be supporting the following beneficiaries from the 2014 5k run/walk proceeds:
This year’s community beneficiary is for local resident Lily LaRue Anderson, age 6. Lily was diagnosed with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG) in early May and is currently undergoing treatment at Children’s Hopsital of Philadelphia. Proceeds will benefit the Anderson family and fun-loving Lily during their ongoing journey.
In addition, event proceeds will continue to support (2) Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships given annually at Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills high schools, research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and this year we’ve added an additional benficiary– the John Thereur Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center.
Registration for the 5th Annual Born to Run 5K Run/Walk is now open! Please click on the “Register” tab for online registration, or click here. In the coming weeks we will announce the community benefactor from this year’s funds, in addition to the ongoing support for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and two local scholarships.
We are still looking for SPONSORS for this year, so please email us at email@example.com if you are interested. More information can also be found on the Sponsor page.
Thank you and looking forward to another successful year!
We are in the process of finalizing the date and will share soon– this year’s event will likely be in September 2014. Stay tuned!
Results (Overall & Age Groups): http://www.coolrunning.com/results/13/nj/Aug18_2013Bo_set1.shtml
Photos (more to come this week): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.530019713737932.1073741826.177552585651315&type=3
THANK YOU to everyone for a successful year! We couldn’t have done it without all our runners/walkers, sponsors, volunteers, and donors — so thank you. We raised a great deal of money in Bruce’s name, to carry on his legacy and help give back to the local community.
More wrap-up info will be posted by next weekend. Until then, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, suggestions, etc.
The 4th Annual Born to Run 5K is on Sunday! We’re looking forward to the event and hope you are too. Below please find important info for the event, including times, race course, parking, etc. We appreciate your registration and look forward to seeing you Sunday. If you have any additional questions, please email us at email@example.com.
5K is SUNDAY, AUGUST 18th. (Please do not come on Saturday!)
Check-in starts @ 7:30am and the 5K starts promptly @ 9:00am!
REGISTRATION & DETAILS:
- Check-in @ 7:30am: Packet pick-up and day-of registration is available on the school fields (along the trees). You will receive a participant bag (with your t-shirt, bib w/ pins, and race program) along with your timing chip.
- Prepare for the Race: Get your pre-race carbs and fruit at the refreshment tent. Professionals from Sportscare will be on site to stretch out participants. Bfit Lifestyle will also be leading a full body warm-up at 8:45am.
- Have some Fun: JK Productions will be on site to crank out the music. And check out the pink firetruck from Guardians of the Ribbon, raising awareness for breast cancer… and even sign it!
- Medical Staff: There will be an EMT present — please let a volunteer know if you need assistance.
- Awards: There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (male and female), and other prizes for winners in each age category (male and female); announced immediately following conclusion of race.
- Toilets: There will be 3 toilets available at the event this year!
- Directions: Registration and start/stop takes place at Packanack Elementary School – 190 Oakwood Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Click here for Google Map.
- Parking: There is parking available at the school; enter lots through Ratzer Road. Overflow parking is available on the side streets (*Please do not park on Lake Drive East as this will interfere with the race course.*)
- Route: The start is on Lake Drive East by the school, and ending is on the pavement of the school. We’ll be running clockwise around Packanack Lake, with a slight detour at the beginning through a neighborhood. Click here for map of the course.
- Start of 5K: Run/Walk will begin promptly at 9:00am. There will be announcements and volunteers guiding participants to the start (behind pink firetruck). Runners should go towards the front of the start line, and walkers should stay in the back.
- Course: Please stay to the outer side of the road and remember that we’ll be sharing the road with vehicles — run against traffic. There is one hill at the beginning, after that it’s a nice rolling course.
- Volunteers: There will be volunteers at all turns in the course as well as bright orange arrows. Police will also be present throughout the course.
- Water Stations: There are two water stations on the course, at approximately 1 and 2 miles. Please dispose of the cups in the garbage can!
This year’s event will support the following causes…
- Supporting the recovery of Ed Tumminello, a Wayne resident recovering from several complications from diabetes
- Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships at Wayne Valley High School and Wayne Hills High School
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center research for early detection of gastrointestinal cancer
BIG THANKS TO OUR 2013 SPONSORS:
GenPro, Inc., East Rutherford, NJ
Challenger Properties, LLC., Wayne, NJ
Gensinger Motors, Inc., Clifton, NJ
Sunny Days Embroidery, St. Augustine, FL/Nationwide
Yogurtini of Wayne, 1481 Route 23 South
Sportscare Physical Therapy, throughout NJ/NY
Bfit Lifestyle, Gary’s Wine & Marketplace, Bosland’s Flower Shop, DM Graphics Center LLC, TGI Friday’s of Clifton, Gabriel’s Plumbing & Heating
In Partnership with the Wayne Police Athletic League, Wayne, NJ