6th Annual 5K Run/Walk Benefiting the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund
Category Archives: Uncategorized
We are honored and privileged to be supporting two deserving Wayne families this year — the Ragusa and Catalano families.
Additionally, we will continue to support scholarships at Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills high Schools, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and Hackensack University Medical Center.
Thank you for your continued support of this event and it’s causes as we continue to keep Bruce’s legacy alive!
Hundreds of pictures are now posted on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/borntorun5k
Please enjoy and feel free to tag & share!
Thanks to our great race-day photographers: Brian Hester, Jim Koper, and Katerina Gkionis (KG Photography)
2014 5K results: http://www.tristatetiming.com/2014-born-to-run-5k/
Thank you so much for everyone’s support of the 5th annual Born to Run 5K! This was a very successful event and we appreciate your participation. Stay tuned for pictures and a wrap-up…
REGISTRATION & DETAILS:
- Check-in for pre-registrants @ 7:30am: There will be a pre-registration table for you to check-in and pick up your race bag, including bibs. (Note: race bags (including shirts) will not be saved for participants that do not attend.)
- Day-of registration @ 7:30am: There will be a separate table for those to register the day of the event. Cost is $25/participant and cash or check (payable to “Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund”) will be accepted. To save time, please print and fill out this registration form prior to Sunday if possible. IMPORTANT NOTE: there are no shirts remaining due to the overwhelming and generous registrations so far this year.
- **NEW** Bib Timing: This year’s event will be timed with chips contained in the bibs. There will not be additional chips to attach to your shoe this year. Simply wear your bibs (attach to shirt with safety pins provided at table) and you’re all set. You can keep or dispose of the bib after race, no need to return.
- Pre-Race: Visit the refreshment tent for fruit, bagels, and water. Professionals from Sportscare Institute will be on site to stretch out participants. And check out the pink firetruck from Guardians of the Ribbon, raising awareness for breast cancer… and even sign it!
- Medical Staff: There will be an EMT present throughout the event– please let a volunteer know if you need assistance.
- Toilets: There will be 3 port-o-potties available. If nature calls, please allow plenty of time prior to the race so you’re not waiting on line when the event starts.
- Awards: There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (male and female), and other prizes for winners in each age category (male and female); announced immediately following conclusion of race.
- Results & Photos: Check back on our website and Facebook page for the results and hundreds of photos after the event.
- Directions: Check-in and start/stop takes place in back of Packanack Elementary School – 190 Oakwood Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Click here for Google Map.
- Parking: There is limited parking available at the school; enter lot through Ratzer Road. Overflow parking is available on the side streets —use caution if crossing roads. We’re expecting a large turnout this year so please allow ample time for parking and carpool if possible. ***Please do not park on Lake Drive East or Lake Drive West as this will interfere with the race course.***
- Route: The start is on Lake Drive West by the school, and ending is on the pavement of the school. We’ll be running/walking clockwise around Packanack Lake, with a slight detour at the beginning through a neighborhood. Click here for map of the course. There will be bright orange arrows and volunteers guiding you throughout the course. There will also be Wayne Police assisting with traffic and safety around the course.
- Start of 5K: Run/walk lining up at the start line will begin at 8:40am, followed by announcements and National Anthem, and the race starts promptly at 9:00am. There will be announcements and volunteers guiding participants to the start line (behind pink firetruck). Runners should go towards the front of the start line, and walkers should stay in the back.
- Course: Please stay to the outer side of the road and remember that we’ll be sharing the road with vehicles– please run/walk against traffic. Please be respectful of any drivers. There is a hill at the beginning, after that it’s a nice rolling course.
- Water Stations: There are two water stations on the course, at 1.3 and 2.1 miles. Please dispose of the cups in the garbage bags!
ABOUT THE EVENT & BRUCE:
2014 marks the fifth year for the Born to Run 5K commemorating the life and ongoing legacy of Bruce Eckrote. Sunday’s race echoes the course around the lake that Bruce, a Wayne resident, ran several times a week, even up until the end.
Although the loss of Bruce in 2009 has left a huge void in the lives of his family and friends, his legacy will live on forever in the lives of those he influenced. Bruce was a practical man and known for his generosity and kind-hearted nature. Bruce’s devotion to giving back to his community as well as his dedication to running will be captured in this great event.
In the first four years we have raised over $50,000 with 100% of proceeds going towards community causes, scholarship, and medical support, and we’re excited for another successful year. We know Bruce would be proud of his ongoing effect on this world. And his family and friends can’t thank you enough for your support this year — now let’s rock and run/walk on!!!
100% OF 2014 PROCEEDS WILL SUPPORT THESE BENEFICIARIES:
- Lily LaRue Anderson: This year’s community beneficiary is Wayne resident Lily, age 6. Lily was diagnosed with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG) in early May and is currently undergoing treatment. Proceeds will benefit the Anderson family and fun-loving Lily during their ongoing journey.
- Two Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships given to graduating seniors at Wayne Valley High School and Wayne Hills High School
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center to support research tied to the early detection of gastrointestinal cancers (this is where Bruce was treated)
- John Thereur Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center to support cancer patients currently undergoing treatment
- GenPro, Inc., East Rutherford, NJ
- Mindshare, New York, NY
- Challenger Properties, LLC., Wayne, NJ
- Sportscare Physical Therapy, throughout NJ/NY
- Gensinger Volkswagen, Clifton, NJ
- Sunny Days Embroidery, St. Augustine, FL/Nationwide
- Bosland’s Flower Shop, Christ Fit Gym, Gary’s Wine & Marketplace, The Kailo, Beckwith, DeDomenico & Messman Families, The Koffer Family, Positano Restaurant, Stonehill Estates Kennel
- In Partnership with the Wayne Police Athletic League, Wayne, NJ
THANKS AGAIN AND WE’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT EVENT ON SUNDAY!!!
2 weeks until the 5K — register now!
We are pleased to announce that the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund will be supporting the following beneficiaries from the 2014 5k run/walk proceeds:
This year’s community beneficiary is for local resident Lily LaRue Anderson, age 6. Lily was diagnosed with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG) in early May and is currently undergoing treatment at Children’s Hopsital of Philadelphia. Proceeds will benefit the Anderson family and fun-loving Lily during their ongoing journey.
In addition, event proceeds will continue to support (2) Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships given annually at Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills high schools, research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and this year we’ve added an additional benficiary– the John Thereur Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center.
Registration for the 5th Annual Born to Run 5K Run/Walk is now open! Please click on the “Register” tab for online registration, or click here. In the coming weeks we will announce the community benefactor from this year’s funds, in addition to the ongoing support for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and two local scholarships.
We are still looking for SPONSORS for this year, so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. More information can also be found on the Sponsor page.
Thank you and looking forward to another successful year!