We’re excited to have you at Sunday’s run/walk and appreciate your support of the event and the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund. This year promises to be another fun event! We are honored to be contributing this year’s proceeds to two amazing local families, our annual scholarships, and two prestigious medical organizations. Details on the beneficiaries are listed below.
#borntorun5k #teamgoose #henryshalos
IMPORTANT NOTE: The 5K is on rain or shine! (We’re optimistic for fine weather though…)
IMPORTANT NOTE: For anyone that has participated in the past, this year’s course will be in reverse. We will now be running/walking COUNTER-CLOCKWISE around the lake. It will start going down Lake Drive West, and then finish up on Lake Drive East. There will be plenty of arrows, volunteers, and police directing you, so just follow the way!
Below is important info for the event including times, course, parking, etc. If you have any questions email us at email@example.com
. Please forward this to anyone you may have registered but not included their email addresses.
5K IS ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13th. Check-in starts @ 7:30am, run/walk line-up begins @ 8:40am, and the 5K starts PROMPTLY @ 9:00am.
ARRIVING AT THE 5K:
- Directions: Check-in and start/stop takes place in back of Packanack Elementary School – 190 Oakwood Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Click here for Google Map.
- Parking: There is limited parking available at the school; enter lot through Ratzer Road. Overflow parking is available on the side streets — use caution if crossing roads. We’re expecting a large turnout this year so please allow ample time for parking and carpool if possible. ***Please do not park on Lake Drive East or Lake Drive West as this will interfere with the race course.***
BEFORE THE 5K:
- Check-in starts @ 7:30am: There will be a pre-registration table for you to check-in and pick up your race bag, including bibs. There will be a separate table for day-of registrations. (Note: race bags, including shirts, will not be saved for participants that do not attend.)
- Bib Timing: Your bib contains a chip that will time you. Simply wear your bibs (attach to shirt with safety pins provided) and you’re all set. You can keep or dispose of the bib after race, no need to return.
- Pre-Race: Visit the refreshment tent for fruit, bagels, and water. Professionals from Performance Physical Therapy and Sportscare Institute will be on site to stretch out participants. And check out the pink firetruck from Guardians of the Ribbon, raising awareness for breast cancer… and even sign it!
- Medical Staff: There will be an EMT present throughout the event– please let a volunteer know if you need assistance.
- Toilets: There will be 3 port-o-potties available. If nature calls, please allow plenty of time prior to the race so you’re not waiting on line when the event starts.
DURING THE 5K:
- Start of 5K: Run/walk lining up at the start line will begin at 8:40am, followed by announcements and National Anthem, and the race starts promptly at 9:00am. There will be announcements and volunteers guiding participants to the start line (behind pink firetruck). Runners should go towards the front of the start line, and walkers should stay in the back.
- Course: The start is on Lake Drive West by the school, and ending is on the pavement of the school. We’ll be running/walking counter-clockwise around Packanack Lake, with a slight detour at the end through a neighborhood. Click here for map of the course. There will be bright orange arrows and volunteers guiding you throughout the course. There will also be Wayne Police assisting with traffic and safety around the course. Please stay to the inner side of the road and remember that we’ll be sharing the road with vehicles– please run/walk against traffic. Please be respectful of any drivers.
- Water Stations: There are two water stations on the course, at 1.3 and 2.1 miles. Please dispose of the cups in the garbage bags!
AFTER THE 5K:
- Awards: There will be cash prizes for overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (male and female), and medals for top 3 winners in each age category (male and female — 14 & Under, 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+); winners announced immediately following conclusion of race.
- Results & Photos: Check back on our website and Facebook page for the results and hundreds of photos after the event.
ABOUT THE EVENT & BRUCE:
2015 marks the sixth year for the Born to Run 5K commemorating the life and ongoing legacy of Bruce Eckrote. Sunday’s race echoes the course around the lake that Bruce, a Wayne resident, ran several times a week, even up until the end.
Although the loss of Bruce in 2009 has left a huge void in the lives of his family and friends, his legacy will live on forever in the lives of those he influenced. Bruce was a practical man and known for his generosity and kind-hearted nature. Bruce’s devotion to giving back to his community as well as his dedication to running will be captured in this great event.
In the first five years we have raised over $65,000 with 100% of proceeds going towards community causes, scholarship, and medical support, and we’re excited for another successful year. We know Bruce would be proud of his ongoing effect on this world. And his family and friends can’t thank you enough for your support this year — now let’s rock and run/walk on!!!
100% OF 2015 PROCEEDS WILL SUPPORT THE BELOW BENEFICIARIES:
- Proceeds will benefit the ongoing treatment of Wayne resident Henry Jack Catalano, age 4, recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. #henryshalos
- Proceeds will support medical expenses for Wayne resident Gary Ragusa, who was diagnosed with ALS. #teamgoose
- Two Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships given to graduating seniors at Wayne Valley High School and Wayne Hills High School
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center to support research tied to the early detection of gastrointestinal cancers (this is where Bruce was treated)
- John Thereur Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center to support cancer patients currently undergoing treatment
BIG THANKS TO OUR 2015 SPONSORS:
- GenPro, Inc., East Rutherford, NJ
- Mindshare, New York, NY
- Challenger Properties, LLC., Wayne, NJ
- Performance Physical Therapy, Wayne, NJ
- Sunny Days Embroidery, St. Augustine, FL/Nationwide
- Sportscare Physical Therapy, throughout NJ/NY
- Gensinger Volkswagen, Clifton, NJ
- Bosland’s Flower Shop, Positano Restaurant, Stonehill Estates Kennel, Gary’s Wine & Marketplace, The Kailo, Beckwith, DeDomenico & Messman Families
- In Partnership with the Wayne Police Athletic League, Wayne, NJ
THANKS AGAIN AND WE’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT EVENT ON SUNDAY!!!