4th Annual 5K Run/Walk Benefiting the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund
Monthly Archives: August 2011
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. The 2nd annual Born to Run 5K, benefiting the Bruce Eckrote Memorial Fund was a huge success. We had nearly 500 participants, and together we raised $13,000…. all in Bruce’s memory.
Our 2011 benefactors include (2) Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, and the ongoing recovery of local resident Steven Domalewski (Click for more info on Steven).
We would like to send our deepest appreciation to everyone involved with this event…. runners, walkers, sponsors, donors, volunteers, supporters… this was a very special event, with people coming from all over the area (& country). We’d especially like to thank the local Wayne community for all their support. We look forward to seeing you all next year at Born to Run 2012.
LIKE US: Click here to “LIKE” us on Facebook!
VIDEO: Check out a video of this year’s event! Or watch below…
RESULTS: Click here for 2011 race results.
[Photos courtesy of Brian Hester, Jim Koper & Russell Wells. Video courtesy of Richard Frant.]
We welcome any feedback on this year’s event… send away! firstname.lastname@example.org
Video courtesy of Richard Frant, Genpro
Tremendous turnout, great weather, and lots of money raised — thank you! Here are the results from today’s event:
Results on CoolRunnings: http://www.coolrunning.com/results/11/nj/Aug20_Bornto_set1.shtml
More details and PHOTOS coming soon…
See you all in the morning. Race details below. Please make sure to give yourself adequate time for parking & registration, as the race begins promptly at 9am!
Born to Run is just over 24 hours away! We’re looking forward to the event and hope you are too. Below please find important info for the event, including times, race course, parking, etc. We appreciate your registration and look forward to seeing you Saturday. If you have any additional questions, please email us at email@example.com. Additional information is available at www.borntorun5k.com.
REGISTRATION & DETAILS:
- Check-in: Packet pick-up and day-of registration is available on the school fields (along the trees). You will receive a participant bag (with your t-shirt, bib w/ pins, and race program) along with your timing chip.
- Prepare for the Race: Get your pre-race carbs and fruit at the refreshment tent. Physical therapists from Sportscare will be on site to stretch out participants. Bfit Lifestyle will also be leading a full body warm-up at 8:30am.
- Have some Fun: WDHA 105.5FM will be on site to crank out the music. Let your children have some fun with games led by Little Footsteps of Wayne PAL. And check out the pink firetruck from Guardians of the Ribbon, raising awareness for breast cancer… and even sign it!
- Medical Staff: There will be an EMT present — please let a volunteer know if you need assistance.
- Toilets: Available near parking lot
- Awards: There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (male and female), and other prizes for winners in each age category (male and female); announced immediately following conclusion of race – so please stick around!
- Directions: Registration and start/stop takes place at Packanack Elementary School – 190 Oakwood Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Click here for Google Map.
- Parking: There is parking available at the school; enter lots through Ratzer Road. Overflow parking is available on the side streets (*Please do not park on Lake Drive East as this will interfere with the race course.*)
- Route: The start is on Lake Drive East by the school, and ending is on the pavement of the school. We’ll be running clockwise around Packanack Lake, with a slight detour at the beginning through a neighborhood. Click here for map of the course.
- Start of 5K: Run/Walk will begin promptly at 9:00am. There will be announcements and volunteers guiding participants to the start (behind pink firetruck). Runners should go towards the front of the start line, and walkers should stay in the back.
- Course: Please stay to the outer side of the road and remember that we’ll be sharing the road with vehicles — run against traffic. There is one hill at the beginning, after that it’s a nice rolling course.
- Volunteers: There will be volunteers at all turns in the course as well as bright orange arrows. Police will also be present throughout the course.
- Water Stations: There are two water stations on the course, at approximately 1 and 2 miles. Please dispose of the cups in the garbage can!
This year’s event will support the following causes…
- Bruce Eckrote Memorial Scholarships at Wayne Valley High School and Wayne Hills High School
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Friends of Steven - fund for Steven Domalewski’s ongoing recovery
BIG THANKS TO OUR 2011 SPONSORS:
GenPro Transportation, East Rutherford, NJ
Challenger Properties, LLC., Wayne, NJ
Gensinger Motors, Inc., Clifton, NJ
Sportscare Physical Therapy, throughout NJ/NY
TNT Design, Inc., Virginia/Nationwide
Paul J. Curreri, Esq., Totowa, NJ
Carvel, Wayne, NJ
Bfit Lifestyle, Gary’s Wine & Marketplace, Pizzalicious
In Partnership with the Wayne Police Athletic League, Wayne, NJ